NLOWE is encouraging delegates at its 2012 Annual Conference to continue to build their connections through online networking this year.
As such, we're asking registrants to provide their social media handles to be used on nametags and the delegate listing.
But there's a quick step you should take before submitting your handles: customize your URL!
What Does "Customizing Your URL" Mean?
Simply put, customizing your URL refers to the characters that follow the main URL (or website address) for each social media channel. It is unique and can only be used by you or your business.
For example, NLOWE's customized Facebook URL is www.facebook.com/nlowe.org.
The "nlowe.org" part is the customization, meaning the text is selected by you.
Why Should You Customize Your URL?
Because it makes it easier to find you or your business! Without customization, the characters usually appear as a long list of numbers or other characters. This is difficult to publicize because it's long, it's hard to remember and it doesn't immediately identify with you or your brand.
How Do I Customize My URLs?
Here's a step-by-step guide for each of the three major social media channels.
- Facebook calls customized URLs "usernames."
- Go to http://www.facebook.com/username.
- Log in using your regular Facebook profile.
- You'll be able to choose what profile or company page you wish to change.
- Type in the URL you'd like to use and then click "Check Availability."
- Usernames may only be assigned once so if your desired username is already taken by somebody else, you will need to find a different username.
- Once you click "OK", you can begin using the URL immediately.
- Important: you may only change your username on Facebook once so be certain that the name you select is one that will also be appropriate for you and your business in the future.
- Learn More
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- In the top right corner of your Twitter profile, select "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
- Type in your desired username in the "Username" field at the top of the page.
- If the username is taken, you'll be prompted to enter a different username.
- Click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.
- You may change your Twitter username more than once.
- Learn More
- Log in to your LinkedIn account.
- In the top right corner, select "Settings" from the drop-down menu below your username.
- Select "Edit your public profile" under the "Helpful links" section.
- In the "Your public profile URL" box to the right, click "Customize your public profile URL."
- Type your desired custom URL into the text box.
- Click "Set custom URL."
- If your desired URL isn't available, you will be prompted to enter a different URL.
- Learn More
Here's a Tip:
- Use the same username/custom URL throughout all your social media channels. This makes it easy for your friends and customers to find you and ensures brand continuity.