Call for Writers
The Newfoundland and Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs (NLOWE) is currently seeking a qualified freelance writer to aid in the completion of its annual publication, The NLOWE Advisor to be published April 2015.
The primary objective of The NLOWE Advisor is to engage, inform and be a key resource for our target audience of women entrepreneurs. The publication will highlight topics that are important to women in business and include profiles of our members. There will be 3000 copies (first run) printed and will be circulated locally, nationally, and internationally.
Scope of Work
The freelance writer will assist the Publication Committee by:
- Transcription, writing and editing.
- Publication content will be provided to the freelance writer at various levels of completion; the freelance writer will be responsible for transcription and editing for continuity.
- Developing a series of five (5) Regional Profiles of NLOWE members and their businesses.
The scope of the freelance writer’s involvement will be:
- To set up interviews in person or by telephone with members who have been identified by NLOWE as appropriate subjects for a Regional Profile;
- To conduct in-depth interviews with each subject either in person or by telephone to learn about their entrepreneurial history, i.e. how, why, where and when each subject got into business, who she has been inspired by, what her qualifications are, what challenges she has faced and how she has overcome them, what her individual and unique struggles have been, etc.
- To learn, through the interview process about the development of each subject’s business including products or services sold or offered, number of employees, future goals, etc.
- To discover through the interview process how NLOWE has been of assistance in each subject’s entrepreneurial journey.
- To incorporate into each Regional Profile a character profile, i.e. what skills she possesses that contribute to her success, why being an entrepreneur is satisfying or worthwhile, etc.
- To conduct research where appropriate to develop a well-rounded Regional Profile with an emphasis on leaders, innovators and achievers.
- To ensure the accuracy of stated facts, including that provided by the interviewee, through appropriate research and/or fact checking;
- Where appropriate and where possible, the freelance writer may be asked to take interesting and engaging photos of the interview subjects, arrange for the subject to submit photos to NLOWE, or subcontract photographers to take photos.
All completed Regional Profiles, purchased photographs and original recorded interviews will remain the property of NLOWE and may not be used for purposes other than that specified herein without permission.
All work must be completed and submitted to NLOWE by January 14, 2014.
Interested parties are asked to submit a proposal outlining their qualifications by November 5, 2014.
Professional photography experience would be considered an asset.
Please ensure the proposal includes the following information:
- Resume outlining your qualifications and experience in this area
- Three recent references
- Demonstrated ability to deliver
- Samples of related work
- Associated costs
Instructions for Submission
Proposals must be received by 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 5, 2014.
Email your submission to:
Chief Operating Office, NLOWE
- By submitting an application for consideration, it is understood that you may be contacted by NLOWE for follow-up and more information on your submission, however, only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
- NLOWE staff will work with the successful applicant to organize content management and timelines.
- Selection of submission(s) will be based on the experience and qualifications of the writer, the quality of their work, their ability to deliver on time, and cost to the organization. NLOWE reserves the right to make the final selection.
- A decision will be made by NLOWE and the successful applicant notified no later than November 14 2014.
- Questions on submission guidelines should be directed to Kristy Martell, Chief Operating Officer, 709.754.5555 ext. 223 or email@example.com.