Categories | Eligibility | Nomination | Application | Submissions & Deadlines | Selection | Winners
- Recognizes an entrepreneur who has owned and operated a profitable business for a minimum of two years to a maximum of five.
- Recognizes an entrepreneur who owns and operates a successful business that employs innovation in technology and/or processes to grow.
Community Impact Award
- Recognizes an entrepreneur whose business has a significant impact on the local community economically and/or socially.
- Recognizes an entrepreneur who has excelled in export and can demonstrate notable growth in her overall business as a direct result of entering new international markets.
- Recognizes an entrepreneur who has demonstrated outstanding leadership within her business and her industry, is able to adapt to changing market environments and has leveraged opportunities for continued profitable growth.
Youth Entrepreneur of the Year
- Recognizes an entrepreneur who is 35 years of age or under as of March 31, 2016 and who has owned and operated a successful and profitable business for at least two years.
Entrepreneurial Excellence Award
- Recognizes an entrepreneur who has owned and been in operating control of a business(es) for at least 10 years, who has made significant impact on the economy and whose success is an inspiration for other women in business.
Corporation of the Year Award
- Recognizes a corporation that demonstrates active inclusion of women-owned businesses in its supply chain and assists in their development as suppliers. Leading the way in promoting supplier diversity, the corporation works collaboratively with other organizations to strengthen and grow business development initiatives for women-owned businesses in Newfoundland and Labrador.
To be eligible for a 2016 Entrepreneur of the Year Award, a nominee must have owned and operated a viable business for a minimum of two full years as of March 31, 2016. All women in business, except where noted below, are eligible for nomination.
A nominee must have some percentage of ownership of the business that is at least equal to that of any other owner(s). She must also be the acknowledged leader responsible for the day-to-day management of the bottom line and earn her primary income from the business.
Nominees for the Youth Award must be 35 years of age or younger as of March 31, 2016.
The following are eligible for awards:
The following are NOT eligible for awards:
- Private companies
- Public companies
- Previous winners of NLOWE's Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
- Non-profit organizations
- Elected officials of municipal, provincial and federal governments
- NLOWE board members
- Board Companies (owners or managers of companies that are owned wholly or in part by current members of NLOWE's Board of Directors)
*Please note that these eligibility requirements do not apply to the Corporation of the Year Awards category.
The nomination deadline for the 2016 Entrepreneur of the Year Awards is Friday, May 20, 2016.
Each nominee will be mailed a letter of congratulations and an awards application package. To move forward in the nomination process, nominees must submit a completed application package by Friday, July 22, 2016
. Incomplete applications or those containing false information will automatically be disqualified. A nominee may apply in a maximum of two award categories per year.
Submissions & Deadlines
Candidates will be mailed the awards application package upon nomination. Incomplete applications or those containing false information will automatically be disqualified.
Nomination Deadline: Friday, May 20, 2016
Application Deadline: Friday, July 22, 2016
Awards Gala: Thursday, Oct. 27, 2016
A judging panel, comprised of previous award winners and members of the business community from across the province, will independently review all submissions that meet eligibility requirements. The Selection Committee(s) will identify the top three candidates in each category. The recommendations of the committees for each award category will be submitted to NLOWE's Board of Directors for final approval. All decisions are final and are not subject to review.
Award winners will be notified and invited to attend the NLOWE Entrepreneur of the Year Awards Gala to be held Oct. 27, 2016.
The winners of NLOWE's 2016 Entrepreneur of the Year Awards will be honoured at a gala dinner on Oct. 27, 2016 at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland in St. John’s. The Entrepreneur of the Year Awards Gala is one of NLOWE’s highlights of the year and receives extensive media coverage. Press releases will be distributed to the winners' local media outlets and winners will be the focus of extensive advertising and promotion. Past nominees, applicants and winners have found that the awards program has opened new doors for them while generating respect and approval from their peers and customers.
For more information, contact:
Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Toll-free: 1.888.NLOWE.11 (1.888.656.9311)